Sunday, August 29, 2010

This Week's Favorites

The film collection of the Canadian National Exhibition has been made possible on Youtube through funding by the EMC Heritage Trust. The C.N.E. or simply the Ex was founded in 1879 in Toronto and bills itself as the fifth largest fair in North America. This is more nostalgia than genealogy; but I love it!


They are at it again, it seems, in La La Land. Now they are feeding booze to cattle apparently to improve the texture of the meat. If true it would seem that my days of sweating over a hot stove trying to make a red wine sauce are over.

John D. Reid reports that Glen Wright’s book “Canadians At War, 1914 - 1919: A Research Guide to War Service Records” is published an will be available at Library and Archives Canada. Not of much interest I think with the general public - but I am getting a copy.


I highly recommend Colleen Fitzpatrick’s “Forensic Genealogy”. I even get some of the quiz’s correct! Imagine that.

James Tanner has an excellent article on rules for buying a new computer for genealogy.  Mind you I have never been good at following the rules so I will probably be breaking them.

Thomas MacEntee’s new book “Approaching The Lectern: How To Become A Genealogy Speaker” is now available in print. Having heard many Genealogists, and Historians, speak at conferences I would wholeheartedly recommend this book to them. However, as for myself, I prefer to wing it.

No comments: