Monday, February 15, 2010

Google Maps

I am of two minds on the value of Google Maps. Perhaps for those who are geographically challenged it is indeed a good way to get an idea of where your ancestors came from.

The Hillmans were originally from the town of Westbury (or near to as they were, as far as I can tell, farmers), Wiltshire, England. My great great grandfather John Hillman purchased 150 acres next to the hamlet of Clathan, Aldborough  Township, County of Elgin, Upper Canada (from 1867 Ontario).

My preference is to actually go to the areas where my ancestors lived. Clathan I know. Today, if you blink you will miss it. One hundred and fifty years ago it was a prosperous little hamlet. In the future I plan to visit Westbury to get a feel for the area. I suspect that Westbury  and Clathan are nothing alike.

View Clathan, Elgin County, Upper Canada in a larger map


View Westbury, Wiltshire, England in a larger map

No comments: