Monday, February 15, 2010

Winter 2010 GeneaBlogger Games

Winter 2010 GeneaBlogger Games

Participating in GeneaBloggers is an excellent  way to practice and hone your writing and research skills. Winter 2010 GeneaBloggers games challenges have forced me to think about tidying up. I tend to view organizing my files in the same way as vacuuming or doing the dishes. Usually I go for a lie down until the urge to do goes away.

http://www.geneabloggers.com/competition-categories-winter-2010-gb-games/


Challenge 2: Back Up Your Data

Task B, C, D- plan, secure hard copy, backup digitally
Actually I have been doing this for the last several months. Rather than a DVD I prefer using a flash drive. Each flash drive is colour coded for photos, raw data such as birth & death Certificates, and of course my Legacy files.  Photos are in a fire proof file. Those of my photos that relate directly to my family’s military service will be going to the Elgin County Military Museum in a month or so.

Task E- storage of data
I still rely on paper(showing my age here). All paper documents are stored digitally. Mind you I must admit that I tend to turn to my files for information before I use the flash drives. Thirty years of habit I suppose.

Task A- planning

I find that that evolves over time. I tended to depend on my files with which I am most comfortable. With flash drives; however, I can better secure my photo collection. Not to mention that relatives can send me photos online without mailing me the photo itself. Great savings of time.
Regardless of security against fire or water damage some of the photos are deteriating with time. That made me think about donating them to museums with better  facilities.

No comments: